Companies have faced many challenges during the pandemic, but the best ones prioritized their employees’ mental and physical health—and were successful as a result. In fact, the only way to maintain a healthy work environment is to make sure staff feels safe, heard, and valued.
Joining Toptal’s Thought Leadership Lead Editor Meredith Bodgas today is Roche Diagnostics’ Bridget Boyle, People and Culture Business Partner, Enterprise Diagnostics North America. She is the former Vice President and Senior HR Business Partner of JPMorgan Chase & Co. and has more than 25 years of experience working in HR.
Since Boyle joined Roche Diagnostics in 2007, she has helped transform its culture and beliefs, leading to a strong and sustainable relationship with employees, customers, and patients.
In this episode, we talk about how Roche increased its retention rate during the pandemic, all while creating and distributing key COVID-19 tests and diabetes-care products. We also talk about the company’s tactics to prevent employee burnout, the importance of nurturing connections, and how to make workers feel secure and cared for. She explains how Roche dealt with internship programs, recruiting, and much more in an inspiring conversation.
Some Questions Asked:
- Tell us about your path to leading people and culture at Roche.
- Roche has been in the news during the pandemic for creating tests. Can you tell us a little bit about those tests?
- You mentioned that you thought about how to feed your essential employees. What do you mean by that?
- What did you do for the parents at Roche and the other caregivers?
- How did you prevent employees from burning out?
- Mental health apps exploded in 2020. Did Roche offer any of these to their employees?
- How did Roche keep employees physically healthy?
- How did Roche approach internships during the pandemic?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Roche’s two types of essential workers
- How Roche ensures people feel connected to leaders and the company’s vision
- New ways for providing employees relief
- How Roche makes essential workers’ lives easier
- The positive impact of less formality and more realness
- How having a lighter touch in the performance review process increases connection and discussion
- Roche USA website
- Roche Diagnostics USA Twitter
- Roche Diagnostics USA Facebook
- Bridget Boyle - LinkedIn
- Toptal Insights - How Roche Diagnostics Improved Employee Retention During the Pandemic