What’s the key to a global workforce embracing the future of work? Employ smart, well-intentioned, purpose-driven people and trust them to create good outcomes—individually and as members of teams, says Catherine Moy, Chief People Officer of BDO, one of the nation’s leading professional services firms.
Moy has been with BDO for 19 years, and in 2014 became the firm’s first Chief People Officer. As CPO, she’s focused on ensuring BDO’s policies and practices are consistent with its culture and true to its core purpose—“helping people thrive every day.” Prior to becoming CPO, Moy led the firm’s assurance practice in Boston and acted as lead partner on some of its largest public company audit clients. Before BDO, she spent nearly 20 years at Arthur Andersen, which was one of the top accounting firms in the world. In collaboration with BDO’s leadership team, Moy is a champion of key BDO ventures that have transformed the way the firm operates.
In this episode, we speak with Moy about the crucial issues leaders face as the nature of work, workforces, and workplaces continue to evolve. Moy describes the skills she learned in accounting that apply to leading people, including seeking first to understand before being understood, separating facts from emotion, and building relationships. Moy also discusses BDO’s role as a pioneer in the financial services industry for remote and hybrid work, and its current Flex Program.
Some Questions Asked:
- How did your education and experience with accounting prepare you to lead people? (5:37)
- What should people teach their children about the future of work, and how will it be different for them? (19:00)
- How has your flexible strategy impacted your ability to attract talent? (20:45)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How BDO moved from an individual mindset of “What do I need in my life?” to “How do we function best as a team?” (9:30)
- How embracing the changes driven by the COVID-19 pandemic and the Great Resignation can create positive outcomes. (13:10)
- How companies must adapt to support working parents. (16:37)
- Why returning to the old ways of work is dangerous. (23:18)
- Catherine Moy - BDO
- Catherine Moy - LinkedIn
- The Talent Economy podcast