Chegg: Taking On Employees’ Education Debt
authors are vetted experts in their fields and write on topics in which they are extremely knowledgeable. All of our content is peer reviewed and validated by world-class professionals.
Chegg is a connected learning platform that puts students first, enabling them to acquire more knowledge in less time—and at reduced costs. The company offers greatly discounted digital and print textbooks, online tutoring, and other student services, while providing diverse employee upskilling and development opportunities. Additionally, Chegg is engaged in philanthropic efforts to fight hunger, ensure wellness, deliver access to education, and reduce inequality globally.
Debra Thompson is Chegg’s Chief People Officer, infusing the brand’s culture throughout the organization to inspire innovation, maintain transparency, and ensure employees feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work and happy with their work/life balance. Previously, she served as Director of Compensation, Benefits, and HR Operations at Amyris and held various directorial and managerial roles at RMS , CNET networks, and Lucent Technologies. She holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration and personnel administration/industrial relations from California State University, East Bay.
Some Questions Asked:
- What is Chegg’s approach to the upskilling, learning, and development of internal teams? 5:17
- What is the culture like at Chegg, and how do you maintain it? 11:53
- Can you tell us about Chegg’s partnership with the Tides Foundation? 21:54
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How Chegg offers learning opportunities for all employees, such as its Level Up initiative that includes seven different flagship management trainings, like giving and receiving feedback and behavioral interviewing, as well as its EDU for You program that gives staff money to pursue education in their personal fields of interest.
- That the culture at Chegg is built on openness, assumptions of positive intent from everyone, and optimal work/life balance—and that the company holds an annual culture, belonging, and diversity summit.
- How the brand’s philanthropic arm, Chegg.org, partners with groups to combat hunger, promote good health and well-being, deliver access to quality education and decent work opportunities, and reduce inequalities throughout the world.